Saturday, December 1, 2007

Another Day at Sea

Hi! I LOVE reading the comments you guys leave, please keep them coming! I'm sorry for not posting more pictures. I have to confess that I oopsed and left the cord for my camera at home. In order for me to post pics John has to download them from his camera to his laptop and I have to bring the laptop down to the internet cafe, etc. Lately its been easier for me just to run down and use one of their computers. We will be sure to put a few up tomorrow though. Think of it this way...now you can see most of them at once! :-)
So....yesterday was spent in Costa Rica. There really are NO words to describe where we were and what we saw. The actual port that we entered was admittingly not one of the nicer parts of the country but not too bad. It was the most central port however for the array of excursions that were offered. As I mentioned we traveled to Monte Verde and explored the cloud forest. Please check it out online if you can. To sum it up we boarded a nice, small motor coach with our guide Pablo. He was one of the sweetest men ever and full of info on Costa Rica. Our bus ride took about 2 hrs 45min. It would have been just over an hour however the road to Monte Verde is not paved. The paving of the road has actually been voted against by locals three times. When I say unpaved its an understatement. It took 2 hours to travel 17miles, and we're talking Costa Rica at its best! Cliffs and all! We drove to an elevation of 5,000 ft where we arrived at our destination. What I didn't mention the other day was that a tour of the cloud forest includes you having to cross suspended bridges up above the tree line. From this hike and of course the rocky ride we saw what had to be some of the most beautiful things in the world. John and I have never seen landscape like this. I simply cannot describe it and can only hope that the pictures we show you at home will give you a sense of its beauty. The sights and sounds of the rainforest and surrounding areas are things that we will never forget. We can''t wait to return to Costa Rica with Ethan when he is old enough to take it all in. Our tour actually started at 8am and didn't end until after 6pm...it was a long day!
Today was a much appreciated day at sea. We took our time getting ready this morning and let Ethan nap as much as he wanted! Of course we attended another wine event...tastings from around the world. Other than that we've been taking it easy!
Right now we are sailing a few miles out from the coast of Panama. We can actually see Panama from our balcony. (never thought I would say that!) We begin our journey through the canal early tomorrow morning. We enter the first lock at approx. 7:50am and end our journey around 6:30pm. I believe we are expected to enter Gatun Lake at 11ish. Although you are given the option to do an excursion in Panama and rejoin the ship at the end of the canal, we have decided to stay onboard and travel through the entire lock system. Otherwise we won't be able to say that we sailed through the Panama Canal! We are really excited to experience this. They are opening the helipad at the front of the ship for the day so that everyone can take pictures, etc. Our next port of call is on Tuesday in Cartagena, Columbia. I will try to write more tomorrow night after we complete our canal passage!
We miss you guys and can't wait to bore you with vacation pics. Hate to break it to ya but we are loving the long cruise and the exotic locations. We are already planning on taking the Galapagos Cruise as well as the Antarctic. :-) Have to admit we miss you all though and are excited to get home for Christmas. It is Christmas time right....87degrees right now!
Hugs and Kisses!
Kate

7 comments:

mom and dad ( reyes) said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I spent the day in cold, windy NYC with practically everyone else in the world, but I did get some shopping done- got something for Kate and a few things for Ethan. Also, a gift I ordered for Ethan came today. It's so cute.
I can't imagine being bored with the pictures. Did you take the video camera? That's the one thing I wish we'd taken to Italy. Otherwise, it's hard to capture the panorama of a place.
I keep thinking that Ethan must be growing and changing so much even in these two weeks. It feels like you two have been gone WEEKS-no, months. I saw lots of people with babies today. Of course, I told them about my wonderful grandchild.
I'm going to bed soon. It's been a long day.
Love,
mom and dad reyes

Gigi said...

HI! Can't imagine what you are experiencing but really looking forward to seeing all the pictures when you return home!
Yes, it is the holiday season , and to celebrate we are getting our first winter storm starting on Sunday.
It's really cold-14 degrees wind chill here-brrrrr!
Right now 35 would sound like a heat wave to us!
Can't imagine doing the excursion you described with a baby- both of you are real troopers and Ethan is the "travelin' bambino!!
Miss and love you....Gigi

Frank said...

Hey Kate, just think you and John are seeing and experiencing things that this word has to offer than no one else in our family has seen.

As I read your post, I wondered how you handled the suspended bridges and rough road with Ethan. I am so proud of you, I can't imagine having the stamina to take a baby on an excursion like that - whether I was 28 or 60.

Sounds like you are having the experience of a lifetime. Glad to hear that you are staying aboard for the trip through the canal. I have seen videos on TV and it is awesome, I am sure you would hate to miss it. i have also seen the TV videos of the Rain Forests in Costa Rica and the suspended bridges you walked, and I can only imagine being there.

Yes, winter has come to Halfmoon. freezing rain, 3 inches of snow today - Glens Falls will get up to 12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning.

Be very careful in Columbia, it is a country in chaos. Can't wait to see you all this weekend.

Love ya all
Dad

nyblogger said...

Hey hey hey. Cant wait to see the photos. Pretty crappy weather coming our way as the Gigi has noted.

The advantage to reading your blog - not only is keeping in touch - but experiencing via your words your emotion regarding the experience when it is fresh in your mind. By the time you get home some of the excitement will have faded and this way you have a time capsule of your adventure.

Sign me up - I'll go the the Galapogos and the Antartic.


"Would you rather be a tortoise from Galapogos or a span of geologic time ?", Neil Peart

I leave you to think about that !

Safe travels.
S : )

John Bulmer said...

Ahhh. I have heard of the Costa Rican Baby Toss(TM) used to navigate the high passes of the cloud forest, but I have never actually seen it used in a real world situation. Nice.

Remember, it isn't advisible to carry anything back from Columbia the way Bruce Willis' dad did in Pulp Fiction.

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

I've been thinking about the quote from Neil Peart......is he that guy who invented the shampoo and conditioner all in one? :-) Just an FYI....that Garlic Lovers Cafe rocks....all the food is like Karoo Cafe! You guys will have to come over for take out when you get home! Miss you!! Love Kristen